About Cerebellum and Brainstem
Dr. Erin Bigler of Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah explains the Brain Stem, Diencephalon, Thalamus, Hypothalamus. Interview by Gordon Johnson. Click below for more videos.
Call Attorney Gordon Johnson at 800-992-9447
This page continues our functional guide, to the areas of Cerebellum and Brain Stem. These lower brain structures not only control movement and the involuntary nervous system, but are more interrelated than once thought. While our charts give a localized view of the function of the brain, the more we learn from medical science, the clearer it becomes that the brain is a synergistic organ, where the all of its structures working together is key for even the most primitive functions.
||Associated Signs and Symptoms
and control of voluntary movement.
- Nystagmus (Involuntary movement of the eye).
- Ataxia, lack of coordination.
Nerve pathway of cerebral
Auditory and Visual
- Weber's: CN III palsy and ptosis (drooping)
ipsalateral (same side of body).
- Size: Midposition to dilated.
- Reactivity: Sluggish to fixed.
- LOC (Loss of consciousness): Varies
- Movement: Abnormal extensor ( muscle that
extends a part).
- Respiratory: Hyperventilating.
- CN (Cranial Nerve) Deficits: CN III, CN IV.
- Size: Pinpoint
- "Akinetic Mute".
- "Locked In" Syndrome.
- Abnormal extensor.
- Apneustic (Abnormal respiration marked by
- CN Deficits: CN VI, CN VII.
Crossing of motor tracts.
Vasomotor (nerves having
muscular control of the blood vessel walls) Center
Centers for cough,
gag, swallow, and vomit.
- Movement: Ipsilateral (same side) plegia
- Size: Dilated.
- Reactivity: Fixed.
- LOC: Comatose.
- Abnormal breathing patterns.
- CN Palsies (Inability to control movement):
- Absent Cough.
Attorney Gordon S. Johnson, Jr.
E-mail to: waiting.com
We are not medical professionals,
however we encourage your inquiries regarding both legal issues
and information on futher resources. Phone and email inquiries
will be received by the staff of the Brain Injury Law Office,
including Attorney Gordon
S. Johnson, Jr.
For legal questions call toll free:
copyright ©2002 - 2013 Attorney
Gordon S. Johnson, Jr., All rights reserved.
For more on Attorney Gordon Johnson